An exclusive family history book could be for you. Deluxe family history books are presented in a hard back bound book to give it a high quality look and feel and describe the story of your ancestors’ lives. Usually two types of records are used to research your family history:
• General Register Office (GRO) birth, marriage and death certificates
• Census Returns (1841-1911)
However other records can be investigated. For example if your ancestor was a soldier, any surviving military records can be included.
• Number of records analysed,
• Number of surnames investigated (usually I begin with one surname or line and trace it as far back as the records allow – often this is to the late 1700s / early 1800s, but you may wish to trace more than one line – for example trace both your parents’ surnames)
• Number of generations being studied (3 generations for example would be grandfather, great grandfather, and great great grandfather)
To give an idea of cost, a family history book that traces one surname of direct ancestors for 3 generations using 9 birth, marriage and death certificates (3 per person – birth, marriage and death) and 10 census returns, would cost in the region of £550. This includes the cost of the 9 GRO certificates at £9.25 each. Extra copies of family history books are available at an additional cost of £50 per book.